Nations Cup squad announced for home leg of 2019 series
The Saracen Horse Feeds Houghton International Horse Trials, on 23 – 26 May, will kick off the 2019 FEI Nations Cup series with a British team of up and coming talent.
The selected squad, in alphabetical order, are:
- Richard Coney (20) riding his own and Wendy Coney’s 11 year old bay gelding Kananaskis
- Piggy French (38) on Jennifer Saunders’ 11 year old bay gelding Cooley Monsoon
- Eliza Stoddart (26) and the Flint Syndicate’s 12 chestnut gelding Dick O Malley
- Bubby Upton (20) and Amy O’Connor and Rachel Upton’s 16 year old gelding Fernhill Rock Star
The British squad of four, who will compete on home soil for the first leg of the seven leg CCIO4*-S series, sees three riders, and all four horses, receive their first senior team call up for Team GBR. Led by GB team stalwart and recent Badminton CCI5*-L and team World Championship gold medallist, Piggy French is joined by Richard Coney, Eliza Stoddart and Bubby Upton, who will all make their first senior team appearance.
Great Britain will head to the opening of the 2019 FEI Nations Cup series on home soil and as defending champions following their win on a total of 94 points last year. The 2019 series calendar is as follows:
- 23-26 May: Houghton International, Great Britain
- 5-8 June: Pratoni Del Vivaro, Italy
- 27-30 June: Strzegom, Poland
- 24-29 July: Camphire Cappoquin, Ireland
- 7-13 August: Le Pin au Haras, France
- 19-22 September: Waregem, Belgium
- 10-13 October: Boekelo, Netherlands
Could you represent GB on an Eventing Nations Cup squad?
British Eventing would like to invite riders who meet the criteria below to apply for the British FEI Nations Cups squad in 2019.
The team of four will be chosen from those who have expressed an interest; it is hoped that at least one senior team member will be on the squad and at least two less experienced riders, as it is considered necessary for more riders to have international team experience. Some funding will be provided, depending on the event.
If you meet the following criteria please apply via the details below:
- Horse/rider combinations from past and present form in CCI4*-S, CCI4*-L and CCI5*-L who have had recent good form.
- Hold a current and valid British Passport.
- Are qualified for the forthcoming Nations Cups, horses can be owned by any nationality as they take on the nationality of the rider for a Nations Cup.
- Neither horses nor athletes are for any reason not allowed to take part in the forthcoming Nations Cups under BE, BEF, or FEI rules.
- Horse/Rider must be eligible according to the minimum eligibility criteria as defined in the FEI Regulations (Annex 2 BE Members’ Handbook).
If you would like to be considered please fill out the overseas application form HERE and send back via email to Gemma Harriss on firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also send any questions to Gemma.
Find out more about the FEI Nations Cup series HERE.