Husband and wife team up for Polish leg of FEI Nations Cup
After a strong start in the home leg, Great Britain will head to Strzegom in Poland from 26 to 30 June for their second points winning opportunity of the 2019 FEI Nation Cup series.
The team in alphabetical order are:
- David Doel, 26 from Wiltshire, on Ian and Jane James’ 12 year old mare Eisfee
- Ben Hobday, 31 from Northumberland, with his own and Jane Chambers’ nine year old gelding Shadow Man II
- Emma Hobday, 27 from Northumberland, and her own 11 year old gelding Shadow Puppet
- James Sommerville, 31 from North Yorkshire, on his own and Jennifer Sommerville’s 13 year old gelding Talent
The young squad, who all came through the BE Under 18 Programme, see the first British team with a husband and wife combination, as Emma Hobday makes her senior team debut alongside husband Ben. Along with Emma, Ben, James and David, who all bring Nations Cup experience with them, will be looking to add to the 80 points won at the home leg of the series at the Saracen Horse Feeds Houghton International in May.
With two legs complete in the 2019 series, Sweden lead the way on 170 points after finishing second at Houghton International and third in Pratoni de Vivaro, Italy. Great Britain has so far only contested in one leg of the series and sit in eighth place. The six best results of the seven legs count towards the overall total and the series will next head to Ireland at the end of July:
- 23-26 May: Houghton International, Great Britain (GB 3rd)
- 5-8 June: Pratoni Del Vivaro, Italy
- 27-30 June: Strzegom, Poland
- 24-29 July: Camphire Cappoquin, Ireland
- 7-13 August: Le Pin au Haras, France
- 19-22 September: Waregem, Belgium
- 10-13 October: Boekelo, Netherlands
Could you represent GB on an Eventing Nations Cup squad?
British Eventing would like to invite riders who meet the criteria below to apply for the British FEI Nations Cups squad in 2019.
The team of four will be chosen from those who have expressed an interest; it is hoped that at least one senior team member will be on the squad and at least two less experienced riders, as it is considered necessary for more riders to have international team experience. Some funding will be provided, depending on the event.
If you meet the following criteria please apply via the details below:
- Horse/rider combinations from past and present form in CCI4*-S, CCI4*-L and CCI5*-L who have had recent good form.
- Hold a current and valid British Passport.
- Are qualified for the forthcoming Nations Cups, horses can be owned by any nationality as they take on the nationality of the rider for a Nations Cup.
- Neither horses nor athletes are for any reason not allowed to take part in the forthcoming Nations Cups under BE, BEF, or FEI rules.
- Horse/Rider must be eligible according to the minimum eligibility criteria as defined in the FEI Regulations (Annex 2 BE Members’ Handbook).
If you would like to be considered please fill out the overseas application form HERE and send back via email to Gemma Harriss on firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also send any questions to Gemma.
BRITISH EVENTING SELECTION POLICY - FEI Eventing Nations Cup 2019
Find out more about the FEI Nations Cup series HERE.