Applications Open for BE Foundation Skills Academy
Following the successful launch of the British Eventing Foundation Skills Academy Programme last year, BE is pleased to open applications for this year’s programme.
Funded by Sport England, the BEFSA is designed to identify, support and develop riders who are demonstrating the potential to progress in eventing.
BE is now inviting applications for the second cohort of the BE Foundation Skills Academy Programme, and is seeking riders competing at the grassroots levels of eventing, showing natural ability and are making positive progress in the sport.
The BEFSA aims to identify riders aged between 14 and 18 years that are starting their competition journey, who demonstrate the commitment, skills and potential to progress in the sport. It is also hoped that riders will move onto the British Equestrian Federation’s (BEF) World Class Programme Podium Potential Pathway or the Young Professional programme in the future, and to help further their ability and sporting success.
The 12 month training programme offers opportunities for talented riders aged 14 – 18 and will include training and expert advice across three training camps. Along with coaching, successful applicants will gain access to industry specialists from the areas of farriery, saddlery, veterinary, biomechanics, equine nutrition, sport psychology and strength and conditioning.
The BE Foundation Skills Academy (England) Programme is open to athletes aged 14-18 who fulfil the following minimum performance standards (MPS) and entry requirements:
- All riders must be eligible to compete for Great Britain and hold a current British passport.
- All riders must become full competing members of British Eventing riding fully registered horses on selection.
- All riders must reside in England.
- Riders will not be eligible for this programme if they have been long listed, short listed or represented GB at the Pony or Junior European Championships.
- Riders that are currently serving a ban from competition as a result of a doping offence (equine or human) or equine controlled medication offence will not be eligible.
- The minimum performance standards (MPS) for consideration to apply for the BE Foundation Skills Academy:
- English Athletes between the ages of 14-18 as at 31st December 2019.
- Have attended a minimum of three BE 12-21 Training in 2018/2019. (Excludes pre Frickley Training).
- Placed in the top eight in three or more BE100/BE100u18, or placed in the top 15% of starters at The Pony Club Championships at this level, or placed in the top ten of two ONu18 or PT/PON.
Results must be obtained between 1st January 2019 and 22nd November 2019.
- Including the MPS above, has been recommended by the Regional Youth Coach and Regional Youth Coordinator or Regional Youth Assistant coordinator as a candidate who has shown commitment to training and is developing the skills and potential to progress in the sport. If the Regional Youth Coach is also the home Coach, then an independent Coach must be used.
NB: ‘Regional Youth’ is replacing the term ‘Under 18’ when used to describe the roles of the U18 Coordinators, Assistants and Coaches.
Applicants are advised that the compulsory camp dates are:
Camp 1 – Sat 28 and Sun 29 March
Camp 2 – Sat 30 May
Camp 3 – Sat 22 and Sun 23 August
Applications to be returned to the Training and Education U18 Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday 22nd November 2019