Third Party/Public Liability Insurance
As a Full Member of British Eventing you automatically benefit from valuable insurance cover organised through Marsh Ltd. For further information please contact the Marsh Insurance Helpline. Due to operational changes at Marsh as a result of the restrictions imposed due to COVID-19, the helpline number has temporarily been updated to 01732 877523.
This summary provides an outline of the cover provided: the insurance is governed by Policy Provisions, copies of which are available on request from British Eventing.
Who is covered?
Full Members of British Eventing who do not earn an income from their equestrian activities. Members who do earn such income are strongly advised to ensure that they have adequate insurance cover of their own. This policy is underwritten by Axa XL and if you have any queries please call the Marsh Ltd helpline number above.
Owner, Joint Owner, Syndicate and Corporate Members of British Eventing who do not earn an income from their equestrian activities.. Members who do earn such income are strongly advised to ensure that they have adequate insurance cover of their own. Cover is for the horses who hold a current season ticket with British Eventing only, registered to those owners. This policy is underwritten by Axa XL and if you have any queries please call the Marsh Ltd helpline number above.
Day Pass Members of British Eventing who do not earn an income from their equestrian activities. Members who do earn such income are strongly advised to ensure that they have adequate insurance cover of their own. This policy is underwritten by Axa XL and if you have any queries please call the Marsh Ltd helpline number above. Cover is for the days of competition at a British Eventing affiliated event only.
What is covered?
Personal liability to pay compensation arising from your personal equestrian activities which you become legally liable to pay following an accident anywhere in the world involving death or injury to other people or loss or damage to their property. The maximum payment for all claims arising out of one incident is £20m with a £500 per claim excess applicable. (This cover shall not apply to liability more specifically insured under any other insurance).
What is not covered?
Most importantly: any involvement you have in racing, point to points and steeple chasing; any damage to property which you are responsible for safeguarding; and any accidents involving your family. The Policy Provisions contain a full list of exclusions. Please download the summary of 3rd party/public liability cover for Members document issued by MS Amlin from the right hand side of this web page for more details.
All incidents which could give rise to a claim, however slight, must be reported immediately. For claims relating to incidents which occurred before March 15th 2020, please send the details to MS Amlin via their claims handlers Sedgwick. All correspondence should be sent immediately and unanswered for the attention of Jade McDonald , Sedgwick, 2 The Boulevard, City West, One Office Park, Gelderd Road, Leeds, LS12 6NY or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or telephone 01924 428639. For claims relating to incidents taking place after March 15th, please send the details to the claims team at Axa XL using the email UKNewNotices@axaxl.com.
KBIS BE Personal Accident Insurance
In conjunction with British Eventing, KBIS have designed a bespoke personal accident policy only available to BE Members. Insurance when you need it most, from just £13.75 per month.
Designed with both amateur and professional riders in mind, there are three different levels of cover to choose from, plus a specific level for junior riders aged 16 years and under.
Here are the top 5 reasons all members should consider the KBIS BE Personal Accident policy:
1. Temporary Total Disablement - We all know there is a level of risk involved with riding and even handling horses on the ground. They can be unpredictable so how would you cope if a horse-related accident meant you were unable to work for a period of time? KBIS BE PA will pay out a weekly benefit in line with the cover you have chosen. This does not need to be reflective of your earnings; the cover option you select is the amount you will receive back.
2. Replacement of Equipment - If you were out competing in all your best competition gear and had a fall resulting in your air jacket being cut off, could you afford to replace this? Whilst this may not be your top priority initially, later down the line it can be a worry. KBIS BE PA will pay out for the replacement of these items up to the value of £500, to get you safely back in the saddle as soon as possible.
3. Both On and Off the Horse - Riding multiple horses for both yourself and others? KBIS BE PA provides cover for any accidents sustained whilst riding or handling horses as standard. This could be as a result of riding your own horse or whilst riding for someone else, at home or out and about.
4. It’s International - Not only will KBIS BE PA cover you to ride any horse, it will also cover you anywhere in the world. Whilst the policy would not replace your standard travel insurance, additional travel expenses will be paid out for if you sustain an injury from an accident whilst out of the UK. This will cover costs up to £5,000 to get you home again, following an accident abroad.
5. Catastrophe Pay-outs - Whilst we like to focus on the many positives of riding and eventing, the nature of the sport means there are also more serious accidents that can happen. Life-changing injuries that occur as a result of riding or handling a horse will entitle the policyholder to a lump-sum benefit, where the amount varies depending on the injury sustained.
To get a quote or to take out cover, please visit the KBIS website. Please note you will need to complete a short registration form to create an online login (not your BE login) before obtaining a quotation.
To find out more, please visit the KBIS website. Alternatively, if you have any queries regarding the cover available, then please contact KBIS on 0345 230 2323 and select option 4 to speak to a member of the team.