The aim of the Youth Performance Programme is to identify talented riders, and their horses, that may have the potential for International recognition, and to provide help and encouragement to develop that talent and potential. The Youth Performance Programme will also prepare and select the combinations for the annual Youth European Championships for Juniors and Young Riders.
A programme of training with the Youth Performance Coaches during the early months of each year provides the opportunity for rider education, as well as their connections. Formal trials at selected venues, and open competitions at other venues, will give riders a chance to demonstrate their potential in competition.
While the Youth European Championships will represent the peak for the chosen Junior and Young Rider squads, every effort will be made for all who participate in the programme to gain from the education and the competition and to have fun while doing so.
Youth Performance Programme benefits
- National training opportunities with Youth Performance Coaches.
- Development Squads for athletes competing internationally, aged 12-21.
- Support and mentoring of athletes and their home teams from the Youth Performance Manager.
- Access to Youth Performance Officials who offer a holistic approach to wellbeing, welfare, and competition guidance.
- Parental support and education.
- National classes and selection trials for Ponies, Juniors and Young Riders.
- National Championship Classes for Ponies, Juniors and Young Riders.
- Selection trials leading up to European Championships.
- Programme of Youth Performance Webinars
- On-event support, course walks and mentoring.
- Advice on exploring educational opportunities delivered by other member bodies.
How much does it cost to join the Programme?
Registration onto the Programme costs £27 per combination. The fee is an annual charge for each combination entitling them to register on as many of the programmes as they choose, which is valid until 31 December 2021. At registration, riders select the Programmes that they wish to engage with as a combination. If combinations wish to join additional programmes as the season progresses, that will also be possible under the same registration fee.
If you are aiming for the Youth European Championships at Junior and Young Rider level, you will need to register for the relevant level:
British Eventing is pleased to announce the combinations that will be joining the 2021 British Eventing Youth Performance Development Squad.
The Development Squad identifies horses and riders currently on the BE Youth Performance Programme who have met the competition performance criteria for their age group.
As the Youth Performance Programme works towards the 2021 Youth European Championships in Segersjö, Sweden, 26-29 August 2021, Development Squad combinations will be invited to attend training with the Youth Performance Coaches, along with receiving support from the wider Youth Performance team who will work closely with rider’s own home team, including coaches, vet, farrier and physiotherapist.
Youth Performance Manager, Darrell Scaife, commented; “It is great to have so many combinations qualified for a European Championship, and demonstrates the resourcefulness and resilience of riders in these challenging times.”
Inclusion in the Development Squad is entirely performance related, and the invitation to join will be extended to other eligible combinations as the 2021 season progresses.
NAF Juniors (in alphabetical order)
- Daisy Bathe and Mexican Wave
- Hannah Bird and Carraroe Grey Road
- Sophie Byford and Handsome
- Xanthe De Wesselow and CDS Rock Away Beach
- Ellie Fredericks and Lachain Crux
- Izzy Hall and Greenvale Altered Image
- Lucy Hattersley and Bennys Quality Star
- Henry Hobby and Hazzle Dazzle
- Phoebe Hughes and Fabris
- Tara Murphy with Monbeg Maximus and Rincoola Rolo
- Lucy Richards and Wicklow Into Orbit
- Jaymee Savill and Grange Ash Sparrow
- Keeva Stott and Ardfield Tower
- Alice Watt and Greenfort Marbridge
- Florence White and Hakuna Matata VDZ
Young Riders (in alphabetical order)
- Sadie Abel and Ericantos VDB
- Georgia Bartlett and Spano De Nazca
- Tom Bird with Rebel Rhyme and Cowling Hot Gossip
- Barnie Brotherton and Cash Casino
- Alice Casburn and Topspin II
- Heidi Coy with Russal Z, Carrigsean Tigerseye and Royal Fury
- Molly Faulkner and Call Me Cooley
- Oliver Jackson and Viktor Krum
- Saffie Osborne and Lakantus
- Daisy Proctor and CDS Lu Ca
- Jess Rimmer and Diamond Bobby
The Youth Development squad is open to Junior riders, in the years of their 14th to 18th birthday, and Young Riders, in the years of their 16th to 21st birthday, who have achieved the MER qualification for the 2021 Junior and Young Rider European Championships as an athlete/horse combination between 1 January 2020 and 29 June 2021.
The British Junior squad are kindly sponsored by NAF; NAF is one of the UK’s largest and most established manufacturers of equine supplements; their products are used and highly respected by many event riders which is reflected in them also being the trusted Official Suppliers to the British Equestrian Teams promoting Clean Sport as one of their key company values.
Through their sponsorship NAF are supporting the next generation of British team riders via the Junior Programme, which helps recognise combinations for the NAF Junior team heading for the European Championships, and those aiming for the NAF National Junior Championships at South of England.