Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter youtube.com/britisheventinggb News feed Contact us

Basket is empty

Quick Links» Event Calendar
» News
» Hotline
» My Details
» Find a BE Coach
» Find a Course Builder
» BE Life Magazine
» Rule Book
» Safety
» My Event Diary
» Downloads

Forum

FORUM:

General Discussion

• Poster
  • Topic Lead

Ailsa 28.03.2010 : 12:39

Any info/advice regards pedal bone fractures?....

I am interested to hear from other riders who have had a horse that has fractured its pedal bone.....

My horse fractured the toe point of her pedal bone, its what the vet calls a solar chip fracture. She is on box rest and under-going a strict regime with remedial shoeing etc.

Does anyone have any experience of these fractures? I'm keen to find out what the horses recovery was like and if you managed to get back to full riding activities?

Any info would be greatle appreciated :-)

Thanks,
Ailsa

• Poster
  • Topic Lead

Lucy Boulton 05.04.2010 : 11:15

Re: RE: Any info/advice regards pedal bone fractures?....

I have had 2 that have fractured their pedal bones - both hind legs. 1 was a 4 yr old which 17.1 and the other a 12hh 10yr old whp. Both recovered with no additional problems and both are in their teens now and showing no signs of ever had anything happened.
Only treatment needed was bar shoes with clips either side of the fracture spot. Then box rest.

Lucy Boulton 05.04.2010 : 11:17

Forgot to say they both had, I think, steamed bone flour, added to their feeds to help with the bone growth.

Ailsa 05.04.2010 : 21:35

Thanks for your replies Lucy.

That sounds positive. Mine is a fore foot and in an unusual place! But we've done 8 wks box rest & are now using the horse walker twice a day for 15 mins! It seems like its going to be a long process but I just want to make sure I can get back to jumping etc. I'm concerned about hard ground etc but fingers crossed she'll be ok. She's DWB 16.1hh 8yr old who's very very fed up now!

I'm pleased both you're equine friends have recovered well and fingers crossed mine will too :-)

Ailsa 05.04.2010 : 21:35

Thanks for your replies Lucy.

That sounds positive. Mine is a fore foot and in an unusual place! But we've done 8 wks box rest & are now using the horse walker twice a day for 15 mins! It seems like its going to be a long process but I just want to make sure I can get back to jumping etc. I'm concerned about hard ground etc but fingers crossed she'll be ok. She's DWB 16.1hh 8yr old who's very very fed up now!

I'm pleased both you're equine friends have recovered well and fingers crossed mine will too :-)

joejoe 10.05.2010 : 09:56

my horse had a pedal bone fracture about 18 months ago. he was at the time a 5yr old 17hh (he's quite highly strung and does weave) i had him on box rest for 5 months which was a big pain in the bum with regards to his other problems!!!, then fortunately my auntie has a horse walker so he went to hers for 3 months and put on the walker every day with his walking gradually increased from 10 mins to 1hour over the 3 months. i then turned him out over the winter with a big rug and let him strengthen it himself. He's back in full work now and has completed 2 ode this year with an aim for novice in a few outings with no sign of a problem over hard ground or soft. I did add some herbal remidies to his feed not sure what their called at the moment but if you need further info can always get back to you.
Vets said there might be some athritic problems so i do add oil to his food.
I remember when he first did it i was so gutted but they do get through it try and be optamistic.

Suecw 10.05.2010 : 22:31

A friend's horse when I was younger fractured his front pedal bone. He was a 16.1 TB, and he fully recovered and lived (and worked) to a ripe old age with no other problems. I seem to remember him having shoes like Lucy mentioned...

Ailsa 11.05.2010 : 21:43

Thanks for both of your replies and info :-)

I am hopefull now and so is the vet that we should get back to jumping etc. She's completed her box rest then 4 weeks v gentle walker work and is now turned out in a paddock (well... its barely a paddock coz its only 30 foot square!) during the day. She's been shod twice now with natural balance shoes with clips on and with a special foam packing in that foot to pad it out. She'll be re-shod in 2 wks with no padding added and with back shoes on too :-) Our nxt vet visit is in 2wks and if she lunges sound (almost was 6 a month ago) then we can start v gentle ridden work. It will b july before we can trot and august before we can school and do any canter work. Its going to be a challenge getting her to walk for a month initally but i'm v lucky that our yard has a walker!

All being well we should be jumping (small!!) on a surface end of august and will go from there. As she's had this injury and the time off etc etc I am planning on concentrating more on dressage over the winter to make sure we dont run into any probs.

Thanks again for your feedback and fingers crossed!! :-)

I am hopefull now and so is the vet that we should get back to jumping etc. She's completed her box rest then 4 weeks v gentle walker work and is now turned out in a paddock (well... its barely a paddock coz its only 30 foot square!) during the day. She's been shod twice now with natural balance shoes with clips on and with a special foam packing in that foot to pad it out. She'll be re-shod in 2 wks with no padding added and with back shoes on too :-) Our nxt vet visit is in 2wks and if she lunges sound (almost was 6 a month ago) then we can start v gentle ridden work. It will b july before we can trot and august before we can school and do any canter work. Its going to be a challenge getting her to walk for a month initally but i'm v lucky that our yard has a walker!

All being well we should be jumping (small!!) on a surface end of august and will go from there. As she's had this injury and the time off etc etc I am planning on concentrating more on dressage over the winter to make sure we dont run into any probs.

Ailsa 11.05.2010 : 21:44

sorry for multiple replies.... my computer has gone mad!!

Lorraine Thorpe 14.12.2010 : 19:21

Hi Ailsa
My t/b has fractured the left wing near fore. The problem might have started Nov 2009 when he came in from his field hopping lame, the vet thought that it might be a stress related laminitis and he was put on bute for 3 weeks. There was a definite improvement and I was able to ride him, however, he kept going periodically slightly lame so in May the vet decided to xray him and found the fracture After 4 months box rest with bar shoes he was able to be turned out. He had xray number 3 in November which showed a positive mend was I was able to start riding him for 20mins each day on a hard surface, no circles. 3 weeks ago he went back to being lame again. I've now got heat in his foot (again) after 2 weeks on bute and he's still lame. I'm at my wits end. Have just called the vets and have booked an appointment for Mon.
Hows your horse doin?

Ailsa 15.12.2010 : 22:01

Hi Lorraine,

Thanks for your posting.

Sadly I made the horrendous decision to have my horse put down nearly 6 wks ago.

I dont want to dampen you with the negative time I've had especially as so many ppl above seem to have had a more positive result so please feel free to stop reading now - I wont take offence!

My horse ended up having a MRI in Oct after repeated worsened lameness post trot work. The MRI found other problems in the right foot and the start of those problems in her left. Her working or potential breeding prognosis was 50-50 so I decided to call it a day. It seemed the fairest thing to do coz she was really peeed off in general and had become a nightmare in the stable etc. Also she would vitually always be standing with the right front forward - resting it. This to me was a big thing and worrying coz she was obviously in a reasonable amount of pain.

I'm sure your horse will come right, its the hardest time when you have them cooped up etc and I really feel for you. The way you've got to look at it is that least in winter he would rather be in where its warm and dry rather than out in the snow!!

I hope me telling you my horses outcome doesnt worry you, she had other problems and her fracture had healed lovely like you horses has.

Please let me know how things go and good luck with him.

Ailsa x