Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter youtube.com/britisheventinggb News feed Contact us

Basket is empty

Quick Links» Event Calendar
» News
» Hotline
» My Details
» Find a BE Coach
» Find a Course Builder
» BE Life Magazine
» Rule Book
» Safety
» My Event Diary
» Downloads

Forum

FORUM:

General Discussion

• Poster
  • Topic Lead

lightning 26.03.2009 : 18:25

GRASSROOTS CHAMPIONSHIPS. Who should compete?

As a genuine one horse owner rider (with a job) I believe the grassroots championships at Badminton should be for genuine intro (BE90) and pn (BE100) combinations.
After all, there are championship classses for 4,5,& 6 year olds, novice, intermediate and advanced, so why do people who compete at the higher levels need to win at 'grassroots' as well!!.
Have your say and get BE to change the rules.
Let a REAL grassroots rider win for a change.

• Poster
  • Topic Lead

parrisi 26.03.2009 : 18:49

Re: RE: GRASSROOTS CHAMPIONSHIPS. Who should compete?

Realistically I do not think that any of the pros will be trying to win the grassroots championship as most of them use intro &PN to bring on young horses for higher levels.
The way the whole thing is structured they will need to hold back the horse to long to be any good for the horse ,Ie they need to be qualified at that level on the date of the championship.
I hope BE are tough on people trying to change riders as this is were abuse may come in .I can see the pros trying to sell a horse that is qualified that they know will go no further so somebody will buy a horse so they can ride at Badminton this should be banned altogether but as usual BE have left an escape route for themselves in that the sports director can allow a change of rider I hope this not abused.
I think the biggest abuse will come from the downgrading of horses that the board seem intent on forcing through for next year.
Both of these could be voted against at the AGM if enough members feel strongly enough about it.

lightning 27.03.2009 : 12:51

were pros mentioned ?. The 'grassroots' championships should only be for combinations competing at the grassroot levels, (BE90 &BE100) anything above this is not Grassroots.
As it stands the level at which competitors can compete does not coincide with BE own comment 'a championship for amatuer 'grassroot' riders.

parrisi 27.03.2009 : 13:38

There is nothing in the rules of the competition apart from normal qualification for 90/100 to stop anybody competing in the championship.

deec 27.03.2009 : 16:22

Who is eligible to compete at Be90 and 100?

Japsei 27.03.2009 : 16:38

Over 10 years ago I competed upto 2* level - but I had an amazing home bred horse and this was just by pure luck! For the past 5 years I have competed at PN and started novice last season and hope to stay at novice this season. Nothing is guaranteed and if things go wrong I shall want to come back down to BE100.
I am a 1 horse owner rider with a full time job. I'm not very good but try to push myself as much as possible and get up the grades if I can. I'm not saying that I am even considering competing at grassroots champs, but would someone like me be ok to enter or not? I am genuinely interested because I've no idea where I stand on this - would someone like me be frowned upon or encouraged as a competitor if I wanted to take part in the champs. Am I overqualified anyway - I dunno?!

parrisi 27.03.2009 : 17:28

BE 100 basically any rider can compete,at BE90 any riders except those that have completed at advanced,3*,4* in this season and the two previous ones so still a lot of very experienced riders.
An example would be this years JAS intro final was won by a rider who has been around Badminton & Burleigh I believe but technically was inside the rules because even though she had competed at advanced last season she had not actually completed. Fair isnt it!

lightning 27.03.2009 : 18:02

Hi, BE has thought of this, your horse is allowed to get points at Novice but no more than 5 and still compete at the BE 100 grassroots championship.
Hope this helps.

JadeCannon 09.04.2009 : 20:30

I believe that the 'pro's' should perhaps have a 'section' at the championships. I also compete in showing and 'home produced' ponies are placed separately, but within the same class as, 'professionally produced' ponies.

I do believe the champs should be for the one to one riders, rather than the pro's. As has been said before, the pro's have the age classes to showcase their youngsters coming through the grades.

Julia Balfour 02.05.2012 : 15:38

Can someone tell me how do I qualify for Grassroots? I am competing @BE100. Do I have to be placed at any particular events or is any BE100 event?
Thank you

horseybird 03.05.2012 : 12:07

You qualify by being in the top 10% of any BE100 class for the regional finals, and at the regional finals you have to be in the top 20%.

joejoe 03.05.2012 : 12:10

i think you're being slightly unfair, yes i totally agree on what your saying regarding a pro rider, i.e someone who states their job is in the horsey field of eventing. However i am a full time teacher that has a few horses, 1 that i compete at novice level but i would definitley not class myself as a pro, and qualified another horse for the grassroots this year. i would love to have a shot at intermediate level, but what happens if i pants myself and dont want to do it again, that means i cant ever qualify for the grassroots again! So yes i agree with you in some respects and everyone should have a competitive chance, but if you had the chance to have a go at intermediate what would you do???? Shame that be couldnt put on an open section at the grassroots.

Nicodemus 03.05.2012 : 21:41

BE have thought of this but you cannot compete in a 100 or 90 regional final if you have any novice points . I have a post on Ask BE at the moment, it's my belief that this stops people from trying novice. ERA did a report last year that said that most downgraded horses had only a few points. This suggests to me that there are riders and horses that braved novice, got a double clear ( 1 point) and found it was not suitable for them. They are now penalised for trying to move up by not being allowed to compete in regular 100 classes or do a regional final or champs. I would suggest that the first 3 novice points are classed as either novice or foundation points, this would allow riders that find they have made a mistake to return to 100 thereby encouraging people to attempt a novice track without feeling they would be trapped if they had a really lucky round and went double clear. It may also reduce the need for downgrading. I await the screams of horror!

horseybird 04.05.2012 : 09:45

I couldn't agree more. I am in exactly this position, keep doing double clears at BE100 with a fairly decent dressage, but feel that some Novice xc looks massive and dont know if I would be able to keep my bottle to do it. I did two Novices last year the first one clear xc and the second one I got eliminated (my fault). I am going to have another go this year but I know I will probably put my horse out of contention for grassroots yet dont know if Novice is a step too far for me, would love to have a 'buffer zone' for points so I can step in and see without being penalised. I am a genuine grassroots competitor and only event one horse for a hobby, but equally I enjoy trying to push myself.

bjoudancer 26.07.2012 : 20:32

I think all your opinions about riders competitive level are all valid but I would like to make the point of is it fair horse that has competed at a high level dressage doing the grassroots champs? Does this make it a dressage comp and if you dont have a flashy warmblood are you ever going to do well?